Collected links from around the web
- The headline is hyperbolic, naturally, but user happiness with Android isn't as high as it should be given the hype.
- Caterina was a co-founder of Flickr and has a good roundup. Some anonymous platforms are problematic. Some Facebook groups are full of arseholes using their real names. It's how you control things that matter, privilege inspired exclusionism doesn't help. You listening Google?
- When the quaterly growth figures were announced, the hashtag #osborneexcuses started trending on Twitter, taking the piss out of Gideon for the crappy excuses he gave for them. Thing is? They weren't his excuses, they were concocted byt he supposedly independent Office of National Statistics. Tim Leunig argues they should concentrate on getting the fact straight and reporting them, and leave excuses to politicians. He's right, he usually is.
- Technically, I'm in GenX, but I went to university late so many of my friends have the attitude and approach of GenY, ie those born post 1980, who came of age when mobile phones were ubiquitous. I hate calling people by phone, and I even more hate being called by phone unannounced. And if you do that, and don't ask me if it's convenient to talk? Incredibly rude to expect me to drop everything to deal with your problem.
- Isn't it nice to know that the US govt has at least some employees/presidents with a sense of humour?
- Finally. Some of us have been saying this for years. "preferred bidder status", no internal experts, no central coordination. Some Govt IT contracts I've looked at have been mindbogglingly bad and overpriced, might we finally get some movement the other way?
- 1848. Mill wrote this book in 1848. One of the greatest thinkers this country has ever produced, and stuff he considered basic common sense is still being forgotten more'n 150 years later. Last night, on Newsnight, former Labour Cabinet minister James Purnell basically said he'd figured the above quote out. Which is basically admitting that for 13 years in power, LAbour weren't thinking that way. FFS