Jennie and I are having our first argument. I think it's a northern thing, but we will solve it with skience:
[Poll #1069303]
Because, seriously, although we're giggling, this is the first time we've seriously disagreed.
ETA: Despite quite blatantly losing this vote, she's now making excuses—the votes of
[Poll #1069303]
Because, seriously, although we're giggling, this is the first time we've seriously disagreed.
ETA: Despite quite blatantly losing this vote, she's now making excuses—the votes of
Americansand
Southernersdon't, apparently, count. OK, currently still winnning anyway :-D
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 22:56 (UTC)I'm pretty sure the first time Andrew and I seriously disagreed was about spelling (and then pronunciation).
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 22:57 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:01 (UTC)My "Something else" vote
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:11 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:11 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:25 (UTC)I can deal with American, as long as it's acknowledged it's not English, it's a dialect...
On pronunciation? You're just wrong. I actually avoid listening to my US friends phone-posts at times, for some reason it always gests to me :-(
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:25 (UTC)And I am, of course, a born and bred northerner, though I don't doubt she'll argue I'm from the wrong side of the Penines.
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:26 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:26 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:28 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:29 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:30 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:31 (UTC)But buns are made of bread, and cupcakes are made of cake.
...what is Jennie thinking of?
Re: My "Something else" vote
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:32 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:33 (UTC)(Let a girl use your computer for five minutes to wiki/google cupcakes and buns and you get her hijacking your account to post cupcake pictures. Typical.)
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:35 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:36 (UTC)Although I guess it's my American perception that a "bun" would would be a different texture than a cake/cupcake - as in bread or pastry-like in texture and more often using yeast?
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:40 (UTC)A cupcake is a small cake/bun, usually quite light in texture, that is presented in a dainty little paper holder called a "cup".
Oh dear, but I've used both "cake" and "bun". Well, it's a cake because, well, it uses cake mixture. But it's a bun because it's bun-sized. But my Nan's buns never came in little paper holders. So they're not really buns. They're cakes. But they're bun-sized. And so goes the circle of semi-inebriated logic.
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:46 (UTC)Nigella says they are cakes, as does Delia. I'm going with them for they know cake.
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-10, Wednesday 23:57 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-11, Thursday 00:11 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-11, Thursday 00:14 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-11, Thursday 03:20 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-11, Thursday 03:22 (UTC)A bun is more bread-like.
Matb -- those of us who have known jennie for many years know she will never admit a mistake tied to language. I've found the solution to be to nod and smile and say, "yes, of course you're right" and go on using the word correctly as before.
no subject
Date: 2007-Oct-11, Thursday 06:41 (UTC)Not knowing the difference between a cupcake and a bun is like not knowing the difference between a lion and a rabbit - unlikely and daft.
Would a picture of an evil cupcake help?
http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs14/300W/i/2007/065/8/4/Evil_Cupcake_by_sonkem.jpg
What you should be looking at in that picture is the fact that The Cake is in a cup or little paper cup. Hence cupcake.
Mr Weasel and I had our first great disagreementabout Star Trek.